• Check out the Datebook tab for upcoming events and entertainment!

Grand View students speak out about their favorite YouTube videos

Jenny Sullivan, Staff Writer
March 1, 2013

YouTube has been a growing sensation all across the world since it hit the scene in 2005. With its slogan “broadcast yourself,” it is easy for people to view videos as well as post their own videos. Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim founded YouTube when working together at another Internet creation called PayPal.

According to Mashable.com the founding trio did not come up with the YouTube concept right away.

When Karim could not find footage of Janet Jackson’s ‘wardrobe malfunction’ on the Internet, the three steered away from their original idea of a dating website and created what YouTube is today.

Taylor Gazzano, physical education junior, said, “I usually watch YouTube every day, someone will post a video, I will go check it out then I will find myself getting lost for hours watching other related videos.”

YouTube is broadcasted in almost 20 countries, uploading more than 65,000 new videos and delivering 100 million video views per day, and it is the fastest growing site on the Web.

YouTube is used for a variety of different video outlets ranging anywhere from experimental, comedy, spoof, fake commercials, music videos and even tutorials. If anyone is looking for a video on something, YouTube will have it.

People around campus discuss their favorite videos.

Kendra Perry, nursing freshman, said, “My favorite video is a Jenna Marbles video called ‘How to make yourself pretty.’ Jenna Marbles’ videos are hilarious.”

Lindsay Hall, biology freshman, said, “My favorite YouTube video is ‘My pushup bra will help me find my man.’ It is about this girl just driving around talking about her life. It is a must-watch. It is random, but also very funny.”

Other students said they mainly use YouTube to watch different music videos.

Gabe Golubosky, psychology junior, said, “ ‘A day to remember’ is my favorite music video, I really like that kind of music.”

Justin Sumrall, history junior, said,  “I am a Froggy Fresh fan, he is a rapper. He has a series of videos so I subscribed to him and I watch the videos whenever he posts a new one.”

People will also try to create their own YouTube hits, Agbeze Onuma, business sophomore, said, “Some friends and I made boxing videos once, we took them down though before our school found them so we didn’t get into trouble.”

Golubosky, said, “ I tried to make a YouTube video once, but it was a failure. When I was 14, young and immature, we tried to see how quickly we could get kicked out of Walmart, like I said it failed we didn’t even get kicked out. That was the extent of our YouTube video making days.”

Though these videos did not make it big, some people do make a living off of posting YouTube videos.  According to the New York Times, a man in Connecticut quit his day job and made a career out of his weekly YouTube videos, bringing in more than $ 100,000 a year.

According to the Associated Press, on Oct. 9, 2006 YouTube was purchased by Google for 1.65 billion in stock, making YouTube Inc., a still-unprofitable startup, by far the most expensive purchase made by Google during its eight-year history.

YouTube is not only used for entertainment purposes, but also for learning and excelling in a certain field.

Gazzano said, “I do taekwondo, so I use YouTube a lot to watch other people fight. They will post their fights on YouTube so I will study them that way to see what I am up against when I do have to fight them.”

Comments

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*